February 15, 2016

We are currently advising our clients to apply for a reentry permit if they spend extended periods of time outside of the U.S., even if their stay outside of the U.S. will not exceed one year. Green Card is used to re-enter the U.S. as an un-relinquished, lawful permanent resident after temporary absence not exceeding one year. If the Green Card holder remains outside the U.S. for a period of more than one year, the regulations require invalidation of the Green Card. In order to keep the Green Card after a period of such absence, the Green Card holder needs to apply for a Re-entry Permit. This application is made in the U.S. before departure; and the applicant must be present in the U.S. for the biometrics appointment. Departure after the biometrics appointment, but before approval does not generally affect the validity of the document. The permit is usually valid for 2 years. 


Remzi Guvenc Kulen Esq.

Kulen Law Firm, P.C.