October 06, 2016

As long as the visa holder has a valid foreign license, non-immigrants who are temporarily in the state are able to use their foreign license to legally drive. If visa holders wish to obtain a NYS driver’s license, the Department of Motor Vehicles only requires that in addition to the normal requirements, they must provide documentation from the Department of Homeland security for proof of legal status.

Remzi Guvenc Kulen

Kulen Law Firm, P.C.